The Department of Housing and Urban Development ahead of the Secretary of HUD appearing on the Daily Show, awarded to Cuyahoga County $25,342,376.00 in funding for homelessness and housing.
a) Every shelter and service provider seeking renewals funding received the money they requested. They get what they got to fund the shelter or service when they opened--no cost of living increase ever in the HUD world.
b) Renewals involving leasing/rent assistance received increases from the amount requested because of the recalculation of the rent amounts to align with Fair Market Rents in Greater Cleveland. This is true for all except one Shelter Plus Care program. The County is going to ask for a correction on the one program.
c) All other renewals were approved for the amount requested.
d) The County wrapped a bunch of programs into two "reallocation requests" for funding from funds that were left once HUD funds all the renewals. These projects may not have scored high enough locally, but changed their program to meet current expectations. The County rolled a bunch of programs together to submit two big requests for funding. This strategy was risky, but worked in putting them all together into two projects. "All in" approach to funding requests.
The bad news was that the one new project submission for housing vouchers attached to the new Permanent Supportive Housing building on Detroit Ave was not approved. We will see what impact this has on the funding for supportive housing locally.
$3.88 million of the funding goes to transitional shelters and supportive services or 15% of the funding. The other 85% of the funds go to housing long term homeless or disabled homeless people in Cuyahoga County.
- Cincinnati received $15.38 million.
- Toledo received $4.88 million in support
- Columbus only received $11.06 million which seems low to me.
- Dayton received $8.37 million.
- Akron received 4.47 million.
Posts reflect the opinion of those who sign the entry.