Angelo Anderson Wins Distinquished Service Award

Editor’s Note: Reprinted from the NEOCH Annual Report. Anderson was presented with a distinguished service award by Councilman Joe Cimperman at the NEOCH Annual Meeting on April 19.

Angelo Anderson came to the Coalition eight years ago to solve a problem that would benefit the entire community, he left our employment in early 2000 to solve a problem the community has neglected for ten years. We wish him well, and present him with a distinguished service award at the NEOCH Annual Meeting April 19, 2000.

Anderson teamed up with a college student from Kent State to publish a collection of thought and called it the Homeless Grapevine. He was staying at one of the overflow shelters, and needed something to put money in his pocket. He and a few guys got together to photocopy poems, stories and commentaries about homelessness. This worked for a short period, but soon became unmanageable. There were guys photocopying one page and selling it on the street for a dollar. The "paper" never was new because people kept photocopying the first issue. It was chaos. Angelo approached the Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless about publishing the paper using real newsprint and advances in desktop publishing.

Bryan Gillooly, executive director of NEOCH, looked into the idea and found a successful paper in New York and San Francisco. Papers were starting in Montreal, Chicago, and Boston. He received support from Trinity Cathedral to buy software and print the first issue. By the fourth issue the paper was selling out, and Anderson was its top vendor.

Anderson had lost his printing job because of the advances in desktop publishing, but had turned that setback into an opportunity by helping with the creation of the Grapevine. He had lost his job, and his family disintegrated. He got involved in mind enhancing substances and then the natural cycles that go along with chronic homelessness.

Angelo often tells of the last night on the street when he stayed in a Port-o-John on a rainy night near City Hall. He realized that he was going to die if he stayed on the streets. He made a decision to seek more stable housing, and get off the streets. He used the money he made from the Grapevine to pay for housing. At first, all he could afford was a cheap hotel. He saved his money and eventually a family member was willing to take a chance and rent him a room.

In 1997, Anderson spent months volunteering with the Coalition to stage the Homeless Stand Down. It was one of our biggest and best ever. There were workshops, and manual of services available in the community, t-shirts for everyone. Anderson put a great deal of work into staging this event arriving at Cuyahoga Community College at 5 a.m. to finish the set up after being up all night finishing last minute details. We had a large dinner after the event with elected officials that was very successful.

Meanwhile, NEOCH received a grant from the Sisters of Charity in 1997 to provide mentors for homeless people and organize around homeless and housing issues. Angelo was called on in a part time capacity to assist with this project as well. This was an opportunity to meet with homeless people and learn about what they need, and develop a leadership team.

As we began to plan the 1998 Stand Down we hired Anderson to serve as Special Events Manager. He was one of two people on staff at NEOCH, and he worked to pull together another Stand Down. What we found was that Angelo was a master at drawing others into contributing time to make an event successful. He was able to pull churches and schools from all over the County together to do hygiene and clothing drives. The Stand Down was so successful in 1998 that we decided to do two in 1999.

Toward the end of 1998, we won a second grant from the Sisters of Charity to work on housing issues, and we turned to Angelo on a full time basis. This project was an attempt to reconcile the bizarre reality that existed in Cleveland in which we had thousands of people sleeping on the street and hundreds of unoccupied units at Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority. Angelo designed a program to put together groups who could forward potential applicants to CMHA, and he would keep in contact with CMHA staff to assure that the applications would not get lost. The providers that fed potential applicants had to agree to one year of aftercare to be in the program, and CMHA agreed to expedited application review.

After a rough six months, all the bugs were worked out and the program started submitting applicants. Anderson struck a deal with the State Coalition to provide Americorp staff to assist with the placement of homeless people. With the energy of the Americorps who camped out at CMHA until they got answers to the high tolerance threshold of Angelo, the program started to place people into housing. After six months in 1999, thirty people were placed in housing and 120 applications were pending.

Only Angelo could have had enough patience to be able to stick with this program. It is a war of attrition in working with a large bureaucracy. He named the program Bridging the Gap although "tearing down the wall" might have been a better name. He was able to keep plugging away with applicants no matter how many barriers were erected. Most people would pull their hair out and throw their arms up and resign. Bridging the Gap is a wonderful legacy that we hope will exist in the community for many years.

Throughout it all he honed his public speaking ability. With the a class offered by Community Shares Angelo became a terrific speaker. He was able to communicate injustice and solitude of homelessness to high school students and elderly audiences. He became a hot commodity by businesses that participate in the Federated giving process who request Angelo to speak to their group every year about the solutions funded by Community Shares.

Angelo Anderson is not done. He recently accepted a position with the Salvation Army to manage 2100 Lakeside Men’s shelter to house 300 men and build a trusting relationship so that they will return to stable independent living. This is one of only three facilities of its size in the country operated almost exclusively by formerly homeless individuals. With the proper support, Angelo will be able to do amazing things at this new facility.

By offering a humane place to enter the shelter system, we should see the length of shelter stay significantly decrease. We need to as a community figure out how to get these men who for ten years forgotten by society into something more stable to open up this facility for the majority of the population those who enter and quickly leave the system. Angelo has all the background and skills to see that this happens. It will take a period of time to figure out how to cut through the many layers of bureaucracy that exist, but he should be able to make this facility one of the best in the country. That is not to say that NEOCH will not be there to push and keep everyone focused on the needs of the customers who use the facility.

Copyright for the Homeless Grapevine Published in Issue # 42 in May of 2000

A Tough Couple of Months for Homeless People

       Over the last two months homeless people have died with increasing frequency.  Two homicides, an alleged suicide, and an apparent accidental death have many on the streets worried.

             Edwin Mootoo was allegedly killed in the Flats in the middle of April 2000.  Reportedly, he had a fight with another homeless individual who pushed him into the Cuyahoga River near Settler’s Landing.  He stayed in the St. Malachi-Stella Marris area, and his memorial service was celebrated at St. Malachi on April 24.  Police do have an individual in custody who they believe is responsible for Mootoo’s death.  The 42-year-old suspect has a bond hearing for $250.000.

             The family included this piece, which a number of homeless asked to be reprinted in The Homeless grapevine:

             Edwin Mootoo was born on October 11, 1953 in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, the only begotten son of the late Tamby Mooto and eldest son of Rosie Callis.

             Edwin migrated to America in 1969.  He attended and graduated from John Adams High School.  Edwin was employed by the S.H. Shipping Company.

             Edwin was affectionately called by several names, but was best known as “Eddie” and “Moo.”  He was a loving and very happy man.  Edwin’s compassion for human life was overwhelming with love.  He knew no strangers.  Edwin enjoyed being around people, but his greatest joy was his family and friends.  He would give and even when he had nothing to give, he gave of himself.

             One of Edwin’s favorite sayings to his siblings was, “Ma, I love her and she still your mother.”  The love that he had was for his mother-the fruit of the spirit is LOVE.

             He leaves to cherish his memory:  his parents, Edwin and Rosie Callis; four sisters, Barbara Mootoo, and a host of other relatives and many loving and caring friends.

             On April 17 Ralph Keeney Jr., was found crushed to death at the City of Cleveland Recycling Recovery Center.  Apparently, Keeney fell asleep in a dumpster and was picked up by the collection truck and died from injuries received in the compacting process.  There is no official determination that is an accidental death, but the police are leaning in that direction.

             Roland “Leroy” Blevins was struck with glass bottles on the head and killed when a blood clot developed in his brain.  The coroner’s office ruled this a homicide, but police did not have credible evidence by which to indict the suspects of the crim.  According to the police a man was arrested, but the Grand Jury did not return with an indictment. 

             In the early hours of April 25, Jermaine Irizary fell from the Lorain Carnegie Bridge into the gravel yard below.  The coroner has a tentative ruling of suicide.  Irizary was found by workers who thought that he was sleeping.

             Dr. Steve Friedman, executive director of Mental Health Services, said that he has not seen a large number of homeless people who commit suicide.  “This is not something that has come to my attention with any regularity.  Typically, people with a mental illness are at a higher risk of suicide.”

 Copyright Homeless Grapevine Issue # 42 published in Cleveland May 2000

Census 2000: Ten Years of Planning Faces Pitfalls

The ten-year Census of all U.S. citizens poses special problems for homeless people. In 1990, according to advocates was a disaster with one day set aside nationally to count all displaced people. Very few government officials accepted the 1990 numbers and a handful of cities sued over the count. Plans began in early 1999 to do a better job of counting homeless people.

Problems occurred early on with decisions on a national level that angered activists at the National Coalition for the Homeless. It was decided that the homeless count would be limited to three days, while other hard to reach populations would be targeted for the entire summer. In an effort to reduce the chance of counting homeless people more than once, activists felt that the majority of the population would be missed. In fact, NCH debated their role in the Census for months and had very little involvement with the enumeration process. Some local Coalition refused to assist the Census, because of some of the choices made by officials.

In Cleveland, homeless service providers and activists worked with the Census to get homeless people counted. The City of Cleveland barely made it over the 500,000 person mark in 1990, and needs to maintain that level in 2000 to keep a healthy level of federal funding. The City of Cleveland convened meetings around the counting of homeless people and other fragile populations in the beginning of 1999 as part of the Complete Count Committee.

There were setbacks throughout the year including a decision at the national level to count those outside from 4-7 a.m. on the last day of the count. It also was difficult to get in writing that the outdoor locations would not be revealed to any other government entity to assure confidentiality. Eventually, these were worked out locally, and a plan was developed.

The social service community would offer thank you gifts to homeless people who signed up for the Census, and the Coalition would stage a Stand Down to catch anyone who was missed. Despite the years of planning, committee members privately were concerned that the sites were not finalized until the last week. Training and forms were not made available until the weekend before the three day count. Some facilities like the Salvation Army PASS program were skipped and never counted.

"There was good cooperation, but every Census we learn lessons," said Renee Whiteside, U.S. Census partnership Specialist. She said that they have not heard how other city’s counts of homeless people worked, and she has not seen results yet. Whiteside said, "The Stand Down went over well, and it was worth it for Census officials to come to the event."

Dave Campbell was hired as an interpreter for the one day outdoor locations count. He identified places where those without shelter stay under bridges and freeways. He was also supposed to go out with the enumerators, but because of miscommunication this fell through.

Campbell said, "I think that it went real well myself. We did have good participation from the homeless community overall." The Census provided a "forum for a lot of other organizing activities. It let us know we count. Government still is accountable to us, and didn’t forget about homeless people," Campbell said.

The Stand Down took place two weeks after the three day count to get all those missed to sign up. While the people counted at the Stand Down were not considered homeless because they were not counted on the nationally recognized three days, they will help the population numbers for Cleveland. One of the benefits of the collaborative Complete Count meetings was a huge number of donations were put together for homeless people as thank you gifts. Hygiene items, bus tickets donated by the Regional Transit Authority, flashlights donated by CEOGC were distributed throughout the system.

One of the large more public set backs of the three day Census count was the refusal of Census workers from entering the Salvation Army meal sites. There were three identified in Cleveland. Nationally, the Salvation Army had decided not to allow census officials into their meal sites, because of concern over privacy and intimidation. This never came up at the collaborative meetings in Cleveland. Privately, Complete Count committee members were upset that they were not informed of this Salvation Army policy, and never had the opportunity to negotiate a solution to this problem locally.

Census workers did position themselves on the sidewalks outside the Salvation Army in an attempt to get people to sign up. City of Cleveland press office never returned phone calls to respond to questions about the U.S. Census.

Copyright Issue #42 in Cleveland Ohio published in May 2000.

City of Cleveland Settles with Homeless Public Square Protesters

By Alex Grabtree

             In late April, the City of Cleveland agreed to drop the charges the five advocates who were arrested on Public Square for protesting the Mayor’s policy on homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk.

             Cleveland press officials did not return the calls from The Homeless Grapevine for comment.

             All the five protesters agreed to not sue the City in exchange for dropping the charges.  Each was represented by an attorney from the Cleveland Bar Association Homeless Committee and other community volunteers attorneys.

             The legal team was preparing to challenge the constitionality of laws, which the activists were arrested for violating.  The City of Cleveland has placed a large barrier to legally protest on Public Square.  Dave Campbell said, “Yes, it was a victory.  We did not have to go to trial and the case was dismissed.  I hope that I caused a lot of sleepless nights for the Mayor.”  Mayor White oversaw the arrest of the five protesters from his bunker on the second floor of the Renaissance Hotel at 3 a.m. “We settle because we were tired of going to court.  If we were wealthy we could have fought and sued the City,” Campbell said.

             The members of Food Not Bombs organized the demonstration on December 22, which was broken up by the huge display of police.  Dan Kerr, organizer of Food not bombs, said, “It was nice to get the case over with.” One member of Food Not bombs; Elena Tootell was one of the five arrested.

             Kerr considered the continued involvement of the city in this case was a subtle form of harassment.  He looked at this protest as putting pressure on the city to settle sweeping lawsuit.  These victories open up forums for advocacy.  Kerr and Food Not Bombs are looking into fixing up abandoned buildings, living wage ordinances, and setting up tents for homeless people.

  Copyright Homeless Grapevine Issue 42 May-June 2000

Homeless People Become Victims of Hate Crimes on the Streets of Cleveland

 News Analysis by Brian Davis

             Recent attacks by the City of Cleveland on homeless people has led to an escalation of hate crimes by private citizens directed at people without houses.  Homeless activists are calling on City leaders to put the full weight of the justice system against those assaulting homeless people with the strongest punishments possible.  The last two weeks in April, young white males in a Blue Chevy Caprice have been throwing bottles from their moving vehicle at homeless people sleeping downtown.

             In 1999, 33 homeless people were killed across the United States for the crime of being poor and without a home.  The National Coalition for the Homeless issued a report in January detailing an increase in hate crimes directed at homeless people.  From California to Toledo, NCH presented the gruesome crimes of hate, which were mostly unsolved.  From serial killers in Denver and Toledo targeting homeless people to isolated incidence of men beheaded, set on fire, and stabbed.  The March issue of the Grapevine featured a story of a man who used a paint gun to assault homeless people on Superior Ave.

             I believe that Mayor White is responsible for thee acts.  Mayor Michael White’s policy of sweeping homeless people off of the sidewalk dehumanizes our displaced citizens.  This allows less tolerant, uneducated and disturbed individuals to physically attack and harass those they see as human rubbish with what they perceive as the tacit approval of the municipal government.  We are not seeing the ramifications of Mayor White’s policy with regular attacks on homeless people.  These are the same trends being seen throughout the country.

            The Cleveland Police refuse to address this situation with any seriousness.  Third District officials said that the crime is at most a misdemeanor, and referred the complaints to the City Prosecutor, Edward Lauriano was sleeping in his car and followed the four alleged criminals as they bought additional glass bottles from a gas station.  They traveled all over the Downtown area and Flats attacking over one dozen homeless people.  The four young white men yelled racial and derogatory epithets out of the window as they carry out the attacks.  They have done this every night at 2:30 a.m. for over two weeks.  Lauriano was able to get their license plate number, and could identify the individual who bought the bottles.  With all the evidence, the police have not responded, and the prosecutor’s office said it would be a hard case to make.

             This is a hate crime directed at homeless people, and if we allow it to continue it can only lead to an escalation.  The law enforcement community has let us down on this issue.  We can only hope that leaders in the community will step forward to stop these crimes.  It is to the point that we have to construct our own system to gather the evidence, arrest the criminals, and prosecute them.  Or will a tragedy occur before we see serious attention devoted to these hate crimes.  Many homeless people have left the sidewalks to seek more remote areas to seek shelter.  This makes it more difficult for outreach workers to assist those displaced citizens.

             It is no longer acceptable to insult minority groups in polite company, and homosexuals have gained a level of hard fought respect in society, but homeless people are still targets.  We hear negative stereotypes on local morning radio shows and on television.  People who would never use a racial slur have no problem with talking about lazy bums who are all criminals.  And not we are seeing violence against people who’s only crime is being poor.  In a country “conceived in liberty…in which all men are created equal” how can we let this happen?

 Copyright for the Homeless Grapevine Issue # 42 - 2000

Reflections on Care Givers


by kwesie marshall

             Representatives of City of Cleveland’s Metro Health System and concerned employees ex-employees, neighborhoods, patients, former patients, politicians (lots of Politicians), advocates of all kind congregated at Trinity United Church of Christ on Scranton Road to air their concerns about the cut-backs in staff and service that the system found necessary to implement.  The church has seen many such meetings.  Throughout the gathering music crept up from the basement as though a reminder of past gatherings, and as an apt accompaniment to the evening’s proceedings.

             It is a season of “save our hospital” meetings.  Locally, a season too late for Mt. Sinai on E. 105th, but time enough to rescue another of its facilities, and to save St. Michael’s.  Cleveland and much of the nation are challenging the health care industry.  In urban centers like Cleveland and countless rural communities across our nation, U.S. citizens are being abandoned by these institutions of care that they trusted.  The poor, the trapped, the vulnerable, the forgotten have been tossed on the trash heap of broken political promises.  There is no Hill-Burton health-care safety net any longer to protect those unable to pay for medical services.  In an unofficial survey shared with the assembled crown, one inquiry showed that of those surveyed more than one in four (+25%) had to choose between basic necessities and health care:  Do I fill my prescription or pay my rent” – or, “buy food – or, “pay utilities”?  These concerns in the richest democratic county on the planet.  What happened?

             “Caregiver” used to mean one who cared enough to give where there was a need.  The only qualification was that one had t have to be held to the promise.  A promise made; a promise kept.  Somewhere along the way some meaning has been lost.  Somewhere along the way some meaning has been lost.  Somewhere along the way the definitions of “care” and of “ giving” have undergone metamorphoses.

             Much like “free speech” in a political campaign where not only does it cost you to voice your opinion: it costs you more because “free market” says that you need it more.  The greater need the greater the cost.  Supply and demand.  It makes perfect sense.  And, therein lies the rub!   There should be a divorce.  The promise keepers of basic needs and the marketers of our conditioned wants should go their separate ways. It’s time for a change.

             Hospitals are – or, should be – in the vanguard of basic necessities – a national trust.  As United States’ citizens we are taught, “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” are fundamental tenets of our way of life.  As principled people we are guided to accept some version of “faith, hope and charity,” where the greatest of the three is charity (the giving heart).  What happened?

             What happened is as old as predictable as the opening line of a fable; “once upon a time.” or, the fall of the next foot in the march of retributive fate.  Greed stepped in.  Greed stepped in and “care” went from being basic to being marginal.  Greed stepped in and “giving” went from an implied promise to a budget priority.

             Oddly enough the one politician missing from the Cleveland Metro Health meeting was Congressman Dennis Kucinich, perhaps the one congressman leading a charge for responsible solution to this dilemma facing the have-a-lots and the have-nots.  It was the congressman, who, under another occasion; advised The Homeless Grapevine to continue to tell the story of those who were being written out of the vary drama of their lives.

            It is a bit naïve to believe that a nation so convinced for so long that the economic benefits of slavery outweighed the “peculiar institution’s” human misery, would act on its own to affirm guaranteed basic health care for all citizens over financial gain for the new privileged few?  Maybe, the abiding question is not, “What happened?” but, “What has to Happen?” I wonder.

   Copyright Homeless Grapevine Issue 42 May-June 2000


The Campers Make Some Headway in Eugene

NIMBYism in Eugene

By Bridget Reilly

             Although it appeared now that the tide was turning for me and John and some of the other “squeaky wheels,” the NIMBY bigotry continued to make itself felt.  On August 20th a rather nasty rebuttal to our letter appeared in the Register-Guard.  It was along the lines of “They want a handout; they just want a free ride. “Of course this was no surprise.  People of that mentality would no doubt continue spouting that crap about us till dooms day despite tons of evidence to the contrary.  They would never be wiling to open their minds and learn, nor would they ever care how their attitudes affected our lives and our relationships.

             In any case, I did accelerate the process of going for my driver’s permit.  I finished reading the DMV manual and went ahead and took the exam, and to my surprise, I passed!  It was much easier than I’d thought it would be.  So I promptly wrote John a letter telling him this bit of news, starting out with “OK. Slave driver…”

             And on the morning of August 22 he was back.  He’d had enough of being alone by this time and decided there were enough reasons to give the relationship another try.  So at this point we more or less picked up where we had left off before, resuming the “24-hour Shuffle.”  The sensation was somewhat like that of treading water while we were waiting to hear from Mac about our legal parking spaces being ready.

             John decided it was time for us to quit this particular area; he had found another industrial street closer in town that had a port-a-potty we could use.  So we took off and re-parked our rigs on Wilson Street.

             For the remainder of August into September we did a few new routine of shuffling around to four different streets in this area, and continued to encounter new pairs of dirty eyeballs every time we moved.  Then one morning a man came out of the building we were in front of and wrote down our license numbers.

             But no, they were NOT going to get us this time!  I proceeded to the nearest pay phone and called Mac, and was greeted with the happy news that my space was ready for me in the parking lot of the Public works department. YES!

             Mac came down that evening to where we were parked on Wilson Street and wrote out permits for both of us.  There were three spaces set aside for campers at the west end of that parking lot, so Mac agreed to let me and john have two of them side-by-side.  It was not September 16th.

             This was certainly a time for rejoicing, for celebrating the sweet harvest we were finally gathering after having fought the good fight all those years!  At last we had accomplished the goal of getting a legal place to park our homes, and without the 24-hour babysitters and excessive radio noise we’d had at the Centennial Car Camp of 1993-95.  This program was much simpler and less expensive, providing a toilet and trash can at each end of the scattered sites, and paying a salary only to Mac who had been a friend since Armitage days.  At last, a program that was better tailored to fit our real needs and didn’t treat us like children or insult our intelligence and dignity, but only gave us the basics that we needed and deserved without wasting money or unneeded supervision or putting unrealistic requirements and time limits on us!

             Mac was the best-qualified person for the job of Program Coordinator, and was happy and gratified that he was finally able to do some good for homeless people who had earned it.  Furthermore, he was “one of us.”  He was not one of those paternalistic service providers who treat the homeless like children while secretly despising them for their “errant “ ways.  He was a free spirit who had been homeless in the past himself, and was interested in protecting our constitutional rights rather than “correcting” our lifestyles.  He also had the political experience and expert mediating skills that enable him to perform the often trying and stress-ridden job of keeping peace between the cops, property owners and homeless.  This type of facilitating position was a brand-new invention, and he was handling it like a pro.

             Now at last John and I could let our guards down and have a shot at creating a happy life together, without that stress factor aggravating the relationship.  And the summer dog days were finally over; it was cooling off and starting to rain a little, and John was looking forward to the mushroom season.  I was to find that he is happiest in the fall when he’s out gathering mushrooms in his beloved woods. He was free to drive out there whenever he chose to and his space would still be waiting for him when he cam back.  And I was free to continue my writing in peace without constantly looking over my shoulder at every passing car.

             All well and good for us.  But the majority of the homeless campers were still out on the streets and there still weren’t enough legal spaces for them to move to.  The pressure was on for Mack to help move as many people as possible into city-sanctioned sites by the October 1st deadline.  On the last day of September, he was out in the 7th and Bertelson area where John and I had first met and where a large number of people were still camped.  He was prepared to tow trailers and non-mobile vehicles with his pickup truck to the sites they had been assigned.  He was also in a last-minute scramble to get more spaces open up.  And as a last resort, for all the people who would still be stuck with out a legal place to go on October 1st.  Mack would employ his mediating skills to try and appease the disgruntled business owners to persuade them not to call the cops right away.  It was hoped that they would be patient while the remaining campers were waiting for a place to move, and realize that Mac was doing his absolute best with the limited amount of time and spaces that he had been given.  It was also hoped that everyone would remain cool in the interim, so there wouldn’t be any more violent incidents to give someone an excuse to bring in the cops.  And all the while there were on going appeals for more churches and business owners to open their parking lots to a few campers and homeowners to let people camp in their driveways and back yards.  There was more than enough space in the city for everyone, if people would jus to pen their hearts and give up those foolish and self-defeating NIBY attitudes.

             By this time Mac was working a 16-hour day.  But no matter how hard he tried; this was still like a musical-chairs game in which many hopeless people would be left out.  And for these people the prospects were grim indeed.  As of October 1st they had been officially re-defined a criminals, facing fines of up to $500 and jail terms of up to 10 days while their rigs were impounded – all for the crime of being homeless vehicle-dwellers on the street!

             There was obviously no sense or justice in this new two-tiered arrangement.  It was merely the city’s latest craven attempt to appease the most vocal homeless advocates while also giving the property and business owners what they’d been screaming for.  The remainders of the homeless, as always, were mere pawns who would inevitably get scrunched.  John and I now were enjoying the benefits of being among the “favored” homeless, but we would never forget the agony of living like fugitives on the streets.  We hoped that this new program would provide a positive example to be more widely imitated, so that the agony could end for all the homeless everywhere.

Copyright Homeless Grapevine Issue 42 May-June 2000