The City of Cleveland and Cuyahoga County convened a conference call today with social service providers and the Red Cross to make sure that we are ready to serve people living in unstable housing conditions locally. Here are some of the things we learned:
1. The Metanoia Project at St. Malachi, 2100 Lakeside Shelter and the Community Women's shelter are the points of contact for City and County safety forces. The RTA, Downtown Cleveland Alliance, St. Paul's and Care Alliance can offer transportation help to get people to these locations. The RTA was offering bus passes to get the person back to their "home" after the crisis is over.
2. The police and other Public Safety forces can offer a ride if the individual needs help to get out to the cold.
3. Downtown Cleveland Alliance will be also providing transportation to shelter as is St. Paul's Community Church. There are a number of outreach teams on the streets today and tonight looking for people who may need help.
4. Bellefaire has shelter provision and possibly transportation for anyone under 18. Bellefaire JCB·Homeless Youth Hotline·24/7·- 216-570-8010.
5. Red Cross is providing supplies such as winter gloves, hats and cots/blankets. Salvation Army is willing to provide food help to shelters that get overwhelmed.
6. All City Recreation centers will be available during open Hours as warming centers.
7. 211/First Call for Help can offer help with transportation if there is an individual on the streets that needs a ride to one of the warming centers or shelters.
8. The shelters are not turning people away and right now are operating two overflow sites for single adults and one overflow site for families. These are administered by LMM.
9. LMM at 2100 Lakeside Shelter is collecting cold weather donations 24 hours a day to give out to the agencies locally.
10. If you need shelter go to 2100 Lakeside if you are a male and 2227 Payne Ave for women/children and they will find a space for you in the community. You may have to be transported to some other location, but they will find space for you.
Posts reflect the opinion of those who sign the entry.