NEOCH/CMBA Self Help Divorce Clinic
Third Fridays at 10:00 a.m. - Noon
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Offices
1375 East Ninth Street, Floor 2 Cleveland, OH 44114
This Clinic will explain the process for filing divorce in Cuyahoga County, and we will provide you the paperwork. You will not be assigned an attorney. This gives you the information to file for divorce on your own.
The CMBA's Family Law Section has adopted the Pro Se Divorce Clinic, a program that serves individuals referred from the Cleveland Homeless Legal Assistance Program and from The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland. Clinics are held monthly, serving 30-40 indigent individuals who are seeking a simple divorce and who have no minor children or assets, through the help of volunteer family law and Legal Aid attorneys who guide attendees through the process and paperwork without committing to any further representation. Pro Se Divorce Clinics are held on the third Friday of every month with special exceptions as noted.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A “QUICK DIVORCE”. The divorce process may take several months to complete. You must meet all requirements to be eligible for this program. You will complete the paperwork to file a divorce at the Clinic. Please be on time.
Third Friday of the month: April 17, May 15, June 19, July 17, August 21, Sept. 18, October 30*, Nov. 20
*October clinic is later in the month as part of County Pro Bono week celebrations
NO DECEMBER CLINIC. (To be eligible: No minor children; no assets/issues; separated at least one year).
Pro Se "Plus" Divorse Clinic
The Pro Se "Plus" Clinics are held every other month in the afternoon to expand on the regular Pro Se Divorce Clinics. Pro Se “Plus” Clinics offer assistance with simple divorces for pro se litigants who have children but for whom custody and support are expected to be uncontested.
Pro Se Plus Schedule is May, July and October 2015 and are at 1 p.m.
Participants must call Legal Aid to determine eligibility at (216) 687-1900.
Clinic Eligibility Requirements (MUST meet all):
- Be separated from your spouse FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR;
- NO minor children from the marriage or with your spouse;
- NO joint assets;
- NO joint debts or liabilities;
- You are NOT buying or do not own real estate (a house, condo, other building);
- Be financially unable to hire a lawyer.
- YOU MUST HAVE A MAILING ADDRESS FOR YOUR SPOUSE. You cannot file for divorce without an address for your spouse.
Bring the Following with You to the Clinic:
- The completed Divorce Questionnaire which is available below under forms to print out and bring with you.
- The normal filing fee for divorces is $200. You may qualify to file a poverty waiver of this fee, which would reduce your costs to $10 dollars. You must have the money to file the Complaint.
- Form to print out and bring with you.