NEOCH Seeks Board Members
Position Title: Member of the Board of Trustees Created: 5/89
Reports To: Greater Clevelanders, homeless people, and strategic partners
Location: Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless Revised: 3/2015
Salary: Volunteer for 4 to 15 hours a month
Length of Service: 2 year term
NEOCH currently has two vacancies on our Board of Trustees. NEOCH is seeking talented and qualified individuals for our Board, and we have a strong interest in diversifying the ethnicity, level of experience, and industry backgrounds of our Board Members in order to provide the best services to our constituency. We are specifically looking for people with a special events, development or grant writing skills.
The Board of Trustees of the Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless oversees the fiduciary health of the organization, and provides input on the policy direction of this civil rights and advocacy coalition. The Board meets 10 times a year, and provides guidance to and evaluation of the Executive Director of NEOCH. The organization is moving to strengthen its commitment to advocacy and public education, and are seeking trustees who have an expertise in these areas.
NEOCH is searching for someone to fill some holes in our board and staff expertise. We are looking for individuals who have previous experience in writing grants or soliciting funding. We hope to fill a couple of board slots with individuals who can assist staff in crafting programs and seeking funding for innovative ideas to solve homelessness. Previous experience with special events or major donor campaigns are valuable skills needed on the board. We hope to find individuals with strong written communication skills and know how to turn a phrase.
- Oversight of this $225,000 non-profit organization including financial and development oversight.
- Attend 10 board meetings and work on one of the committees.
- Assist with the performance evaluation of the Executive Director.
- Assure compliance with all standards of charity accountability to safeguard all donations and maximize their impact on the community.
- Work toward a seamless system of high quality social services that quickly return homeless people to safe, decent and affordable housing.
- Maintain a commitment to finding and putting in place solutions to homelessness.
- Must become a member of the Coalition and renew your membership every year.
- Put in place the infrastructure to create a transparent and resilient organization that has the capability of providing a healthy working environment for staff, volunteers and national service members.
- Supervise the creation, development and implementation of an annual budget.
- Create and then assure that the policies and procedures for the organization are followed.
- Limit any exposure the agency might have to risks or disaster.
- Commitment to serve low income and homeless individuals.
- Ability to work with fragile and disenfranchised populations.
- Interest in learning more about the issue of homelessness directly from those who have experienced life without a house.
- Dedication of some time to move NEOCH forward.
To organize and empower homeless and at risk men, women and children to break the cycle of
homelessness through public education, advocacy, and the creation of nurturing environments.